Wednesday, March 15, 2017

My Worst Moment of My Life


The Worst Moment of My Life

One of the worst experiences I can remember was about 20 years ago, around the month of April. The heating of the sun brightened the day up. Being off from school for a spring break and staying home all day was tedious. Since the afternoon day was beautiful out there, my cousins and I planned to go out to play freeze tag. Back in days, roller blades were in trend, so I came upon with an idea of playing freeze tag with roller blades. Some of us wore roller blades while others played with their shoes on. We voted on a player who will be “it” and the majority of the votes went for my brother. I knew from the start that if my brother gets voted for being “it”, he would chase after me. As the game started, I began to run and as I looked back, I saw my brother two feet apart from me. I did not wanted to be tag, so I started running on a faster pace. While I speeded myself up, I tripped over a crack pavement. "Ouch! That hurts", I said to myself.  But I still did not give up, instead, I got myself up and started running. No scrape and no bleeding, but the pain ran through from my right foot to my right knee. This was when my speed started to drop and lastly, my brother tagged me. I couldn’t bare the pain, so I left home while the rest continued playing. It was nighttime and I couldn’t fall asleep. My mother asked, "What happened?" I told her how I fell while I was playing freeze tag with my roller blades on and hurt myself on my knee. My mother then gave me pain pills but nothing helped. The night passed by and the morning arrived, but still there weren’t any improvements. My parents rushed me to the hospital and there I was in an operator room undergoing knee surgery. Since then, I learned my lesson that not to play any games with roller blades on. 

Vocabulary
Experiences (n.) an event or occurrence that leaves an impression on someone
Tedious (adj.) too long, slow, or dull: tiresome  
Freeze Tag (n.) a children's game in which one chases the rest, and anyone who is touched then becomes the freeze
Pavement (n.) the hard surface of a road or street

Undergoing (v.) experience or be subjected to (something, typically something unpleasant, or painful


Vocabulary Review

Draw a line from vocabulary word to its matching definition. 

Pavement                                                               -experience or be subjected to (something, typically something unpleasant,
                                                              or painful
Freeze Tag                                                            -too long, slow, or dull: tiresome 

Experiences                                                          -the hard surface of a road or street

Undergoing                                                           -an event or occurrence that leaves an impression on someone

Tedious                                                                  -a children's game in which one chases the rest, and anyone who is touched   
                                                                                  then becomes the freeze


Grammar Point: Punctuation is the system of symbols that we use to separate written sentences and parts of sentences, and to make their meaning clear. Each symbol is called a "punctuation mark". There are fourteen punctuation marks commonly used  in American English. However, the three of the fourteen punctuation marks are appropriate for use as sentence endings. They are the period for a statement or command statement, question mark to indicate a direct question, and exclamation point for expressing a sudden outcry or adding emphasis. 


Grammar Exercise: In the paragraph above, I used different types of punctuations. Highlight one of each punctuation marks (period, question mark, exclamation mark) in my paragraph above. Then, create your own three sentences with a period, question mark, and exclamation mark using the highlighted examples. 





3 comments:

  1. I think this is a great post for ESL students because you shared a vulnerable time which I feel would incline students to do the same and open up more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great post for ESL students because you shared a vulnerable time which I feel would incline students to do the same and open up more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A painful experience! I liked your recount and how it had such a dramatic ending -- surgery. The activities are also good. Matching is great for ESL students.

    ReplyDelete